What is Youth Tour?
The Youth Tour provides high school juniors with a unique opportunity to learn about democracy and leadership in Washington, D.C.
The goal of the Youth Tour is to:
- Foster students’ appreciation for the democratic form of government
- Educate students about the role of electric cooperatives in the national economy
- Expand students' understanding of cooperatives as a business model
- Introduce students to the cooperative principles and understanding the value of rural electrification
- Expose students to the sights and sounds of our nation’s heritage
- Build students’ leadership skills so that they may make a difference in their communities
- Reward students for academic achievement and community leadership
Youth are the future. Impacting the lives of the youth of today is extremely important to the cooperative community. The mission of the Youth Tour sponsored by local electric cooperatives across the United States is built on the belief that textbooks and lectures alone are not enough to help students understand the democratic process and gain the skills necessary to become tomorrow's leaders. Rather, today's teenagers also need an opportunity to experience government first-hand by visiting the nation's capitol, meeting their Representative and Senators and engaging in interactive workshops and discussion.
By educating our high school students and enhancing their self-worth, Barton County Electric Cooperative hopes to promote and inspire responsible and informed participation in the democratic process - in essence, ensuring a stronger future for everyone.